About the Haverford Township Planning Commission
In accordance with the Municipalities Planning Code of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, the Township has created a Planning Commission for the following purposes:
- To review and make recommendations to the Board of Commissioners on all matters affecting physical development and land usage in the Township.
- To promote public interest in and understanding of the Comprehensive Plan and all other planning and development as it affects the residents of Haverford Township.
- To hold public hearings and meetings to carry out the above purposes.
- Review and make recommendations to the Board of Commissioners concerning all applications for subdivision and land development. This means that all applications for subdivision or land development are submitted to the Planning Commission for its approval. Rejection of such plans by the Planning Commission shall suffice and require no further action on the part of the Board of Commissioners.
- Review and make recommendations to the Board of Commissioners concerning the enactment or amendment of the Comprehensive Plan or of those ordinances regulating zoning and all other regulations for development within the Township.
- Review and make recommendations to the Township Manager and the Board of Commissioners on capital projects for implementation in the annual capital budget.
- Perform such other duties and provide such other advice and assistance to the Board of Commissioners, the Township Manager and/or the Director of the Department of Planning and Development
- Utilize the staff services provided by the Director of the Department of Planning and Development in carrying out the above.
- Hold public hearings and meetings to accomplish those ends as defined above and for the purposes of promoting public interest in and understanding of the Comprehensive Plan and planning.
The Planning Commission consists of seven members, each of whom must be a full-time resident and qualified elector of the Township, appointed by the Board of Commissioners. None of the members can be officers or employees of the Township. The current members of the Planning Commission continue in office until the end of the terms for which they were appointed. At the expiration of the terms of the current members, their succeeding appointees shall be appointed for a term of four years, provided that it is so fixed that the terms of not more than two members shall expire each year. Should a vacancy occur, the Board of Commissioners appoints a member to fill the vacancy for the unexpired portion of the term.
The Planning Commission exercises its powers and duties pursuant to the Municipalities Planning Code, 53 P.S. § 10101 et. seq. and the ordinances of Haverford Township. As such, the Planning Commission acts in an advisory nature, except in those instances when, in accordance with applicable law or ordinance, it possesses the administrative authority to act and make decisions independently of the Board of Commissioners.
The Board of Commissioners is not permitted to adopt or amend any ordinance concerning matters within the purview of the Planning Commission without having first referred the proposal to the Planning Commission for its consideration and recommendations.