Soliciting & Peddling
In response to community concerns and complaints, the Board of Commissioners has completely revised of the Township’s soliciting and peddling ordinance. The new ordinance, drafted by Commissioner Siegel, establishes a “Do Not Call” list for the Township and prohibits soliciting or peddling at properties displaying a “No Soliciting” or “Do Not Solicit” sign.
Under the revised ordinance, solictors must:
- Carry their license at all times
- Exhibit their license, upon request, to any police officer, township official or to any person on whom he shall call or with whom he shall talk
- Not be guilty of any crime of false pretense or misrepresentation
- Not engage in selling or offering for sale, or in seeking or taking of orders or contracts for, any goods, wares, merchandise, article, device, subscription, contribution, service or contract not stated in the application for which a license has been issued
The following are exempt from the ordinance:
- Merchants or their employees or agents in delivering goods or services in the regular course of business
- Persons properly licensed by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, including real estate, insurance or securities brokers and salesmen
- Persons soliciting funds or canvassing for purposes permitted under the Election Code
- Authorized persons, carrying satisfactory identification, engaged in making surveys or collecting information for the federal, state, county or Township government, or any agency thereof
- Township residents under 16 years of age who take orders for and deliver newspapers, greeting cards, magazines, candy and other items on behalf of an organization of a type listed in the ordinance
The ordinance also makes it unlawful to:
- Enter upon the premises of a private residence or business at any time of the day or night for the purpose of conducting any form of soliciting where the owner or occupant of the residence or business has posted a “No Trespassing” sign, or a “No Soliciting” sign, or upon any property duly registered by the occupant/possessor thereof on the Township “Do Not Solicit” list, which shall be provided to the applicant with the license
The ordinance also limits the hours of permissible soliciting and peddling as follows:
- Commercial soliciting and peddling shall be limited to the hours of 9:00 a.m. to sundown Monday through Friday in residential areas and during regular business hours in commercial areas
- Charitable soliciting, and soliciting, peddling and other activities shall be limited to between the hours of 9:00 a.m. and sundown daily.
To read a copy of the ordinance, click here.